Wilton's Buttercream Icing
Recipe type: Icing
Serves: 3 cups of icing
- 1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (copha)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine softened
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In large bowl, cream shortening and butter with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep bowl covered with a damp cloth until ready to use.
- For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.
- * For thin (spreading) consistency icing, add 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk.
- * For Pure White Icing (stiff consistency), omit butter; substitute an additional 1/2 cup shortening/copha for butter and add 1/2 teaspoon No-Colour Butter Flavour. Add up to 4 tablespoons light corn syrup, water or milk to thin for icing cakes.