* the most basic cupcake recipe is an equal measure of butter, sugar, egg and flour that’s beaten to a smooth consistency.
Basic Cupcake Recipe - always a winner!
Recipe type: Cupcakes
Serves: 12 cupcakes
Basic cupcake recipe that you can add any flavour to, but they also taste great as they are...
- 115g soft butter
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- (you could add coffee, cocoa, lemon/orange zest...any flavour you like)
- Preheat oven 180 degrees C (350 F) and line cupcake/muffin try with paper cases.
- Beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time. Sift over the flour, fold in by hand. Stir in the milk and add in your flavouring.
- I use a piping bag to fill the paper cases - less mess, but you can pour it from a jug or spoon it in (ice-cream scoops are good for this); however you do it, get the batter into the cases, then bake them for around 17-19 minutes. They should be golden, risen and a skewer should come out clean from the centre. Once baked, remove them from the tin to cool on a wire rack before decorating.