Caramel Mud Cake
Recipe type: Cake
This cake can be made up to four days ahead of time; store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped
- 200g white chocolate, chopped
- 2 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or 2 tsp of essence)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 150oC. Grease and line the base and sides of a 22cm cake tin.
- Combine the butter, chocolate, sugar and water in a medium saucepan, whisk over a low heat until the chocolate is melted and the sugar dissolves. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, then cool for 15 mins. Whisk in vanilla and eggs, then combined sifted flours. Pour mixture into the prepared tin and bake in a slow oven for apporx 2hrs. Cover cake loosely with foil if it's over cooking. Cool the cake in the tin covered with a clean tea towel.
For a caramel frosting to ice this cake click here