Chocolate Mud Cake
Recipe type: Cake
9in round or 8in square cake
- 220g butter
- 220g chopped dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup coffee granules
- 2/3 cup water
- 125g (5/8 cup or 41/2 oz) plain flour
- 125g (5/8 cup or 41/2 oz) self-raising flour
- 50g (1/3cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 480g (1 3/4 cups) caster sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 7 tsp vegetable oil
- 100ml buttermilk
- Pre-heat oven to 160oC or 315oF. Grease the tin and line with baking paper, the collar should extend 2cm above the top of the tin.
- Place the butter, chocolate and coffee into a saucepan with 160ml (2/3cup) water and stir over a low heat, until melted. Remove from heat.
- Sift the flours, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre. Add the combined egg, oil and buttermilk and the chocolate mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon until completely combined.
- Pour mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour and 40 minutes or until a skewer poked into the cake comes out clean - it might be a little sticky. Leave the cake in the tin until cold.
- This cake will keep in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or frozen for up to 2 months.